WANT TO JOIN US?
The Hollywood Critics Association is now accepting new member applications. You can apply for membership until February 28, 2020.
If you are interested in becoming a member, please review the following qualifications before applying:
There is a yearly membership fee of $100.
Applicant must have a minimum of two years of experience as an film critic and must show consistent on-going work as a critic. We require all of our applicants to review at least four films or television shows per month.
All members of the Hollywood Critics Association are required to see a minimum of 150 films every calendar year. We encourage all of our members to seek out as many films as possible. We realize that everyone’s time and availablity varies so we have set a minimum requirement of 150 titles each year.
All applicants must have written or recorded at least 50 reviews in the past year. Reviews can include theatrical reviews, tv shows, Blu-Ray releases, film festival reviews, and classic films. All video reviews must be at least 2-3 minutes in length while written reviews should be more than 400 words per article.
Quality is key. All written reviews should be free of grammatical errors. If you are a video reviewer, your video reviews should be of high-quality and edited together without excessive jump-cuts.
We are looking for unique voices that aren’t afraid of meaningful criticism. We are all about celebrating film and television as a medium and want our members to be able to express their feelings towards a specific project with well informed and thoughtful criticism whether they love it or hate it.
Any award screeners, screening links, or screening invites received as part of being a member are not be shared or distributed to anyone outside of the organization.
Any screening invites that you receive as an HCA member are not to be forwarded or shared with anyone outside of the organization.
Some additional requirements to be a member of the Hollywood Critics Association are as follows:
- Appear on a HCA Network show at least twice per the calendar year.
- Participate in the Daily Critic Pick at least six times per year.
- Participate in voting for the Movie Pick of the Week regularly.
- Send in any required work according to the Facebook group or Email deadlines.
- Attend at least one HCA member meeting per the calendar year.
- Contribute to on-going discussions about “the group” on our Facebook page, the primary means of communication for our organization, and reply to communication in a timely fashion.
- As a member of the HCA, we hope and encourage you to attend the HCA Award Ceremony each year.
- Under absolutely no circumstance is it allowed to disclose any information about the HCA to anyone who isn’t a member. If it is discovered that you have disclosed any information, you will be immediately removed from the group.