WANT TO JOIN US?
The Hollywood Critics Association is no longer accepting new member applications for 2019. If you are interested in becoming a member, our next application period will take place in 2020. Our new member applications will be made available starting January 15, 2020.
If you are interested in becoming a member, please review the following qualifications before applying:
There is a yearly membership fee of $75.
Applicant must have a minimum of two years of experience as a film critic and must show consistent on-going work as a critic. We require all of our applicants to review at least four films per month.
There is a strict requirement that all applicants must have written or recorded at least 50 film reviews in the past year. Reviews can include theatrical reviews, Blu-Ray releases, film festival reviews, and classic films. All video reviews must be at least 3 minutes in length while written reviews should be no less than 400 words per article.
Quality is key. All written reviews should be free of grammatical errors. If you are a video reviewer, your video reviews should be of high-quality and edited together without excessive jump-cuts.
We are looking for unique voices that aren’t afraid of meaningful criticism. We are all about celebrating film as a medium and want our members to be able to express their feelings towards a film whether they love it or hate it.
Any award screeners or screening links received as part of being a member must not be shared or distributed to anyone outside of the organization.
Any screening invites that you receive as a HCA member are not to be forwarded or shared with anyone outside of the organization.
Some additional requirements to be a member of the Hollywood Critics Association are as follows:
- Appear on Film Critics Weekly Weekly at least twice per the calendar year.
- Participate in our monthly Daily Critic Pick at least six times per year.
- Participate in voting for the Movie Pick of the Week regularly.
- Send in any required work according to the Facebook group or Email deadlines.
- Attend at least one HCA member meeting per the calendar year.
- Contribute to on-going discussions about “the group” on our Facebook page, the primary means of communication for our organization, and reply to communication in a timely fashion.
- As a member of the HCA, we hope and encourage you to attend the HCA Award Ceremony each year.
- Under absolutely no circumstance is it allowed to disclose any information discussed in our Facebook group or via HCA email about the organization to anyone who isn’t a member. If it is discovered that you have disclosed information, you will be immediately removed from the group